Mind Your Memories continues the passionate work of Patchwork with People Living with Alzheimer’s/Dementia. However, the wide array of programs now offered have expanded on that original model developed by Dr. Fran in order to provide many other much needed services to a much wider audience.
There are 5.3 million people in this country living with Alzheimer’s disease with another person added to that number every 65 seconds. This number is projected to double by the year 2030. Of this number, approximately ninety-six percent (96 %) are sixty-five (65) years old or older.One out of every three seniors who dies has Alzheimer’s;two thirds of the people who have Alzheimer’s are women. Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in this country yet it is the only one of the top 10 causes of death in this country to have no cure nor even a way to slow it down! Only 45% of those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s has been told their diagnosis while 90% of those diagnoses with cancer know their diagnosis.
10 Signs & Symptoms of Alzheimer’s, according to the Alzheimer’s Association:
Every person with Alzheimer’s may experience one or more of these symptoms in varying degrees
1. Memory loss, especially forgetting recently learned information, dates, events, asking same thing over & over
2. Changes in ability to make plans or solve problems, eg. Follow a familiar recipe or pay monthly bills
3. Diffiulty completing familiar tasks at home, work or at play
4. Confusion with time or place
5. Trouble understanding visual images / spatial relationships
6. New problems with words in speaking and / or writing
7. Misplacing things and not able to retrace steps to find them.
8. Decreased or poor judgment, poor grooming/ personal hygiene habits
9. Withdrawn from work or social activities
10. Mood & personality changes- become confused, suspicious, depressed, etc.
Click here to download, print and fill out this helpful form from the Alzheimer’s Association & take it with you to your doctor at this visit.